“What Kinds of Benefits Students Have From Participating in Extracurricular Activities?”
By Francisco Peixoto, paper presented at the Third International Bienniel SELF Research Conference, Berlin
* Host Juanita García, Ph.D., an IDRA education associate, interviews Jerry de la Garza, a middle school teacher of migrant students and teacher coordinator for the Coca-Cola Valued Youth Program in South Texas.
* Jerry describes his campus community and his role at the school.
* Jerry talks about the Coca-Cola Valued Youth Program on his campus, including its focus on migrant students.
* Jerry explains his Coca-Cola Valued Youth students’ involvement in school council and their emergence as leaders at the school.
* Jerry shares some individual student success stories.
* Jerry offers his recommendations for schools and teachers working with at-risk students.
* Learnings from the Coca-Cola Valued Youth Program (Episode 15)
* Dropout Prevention for Students with Special Needs (Episode 26)
* Professional Learning Communities in Schools (Episode 25)
Show length: 11:28
We welcome your comments and questions to the podcast. Use IDRA's online form, or send an e-mail to
Listen to every episode!
To ensure you don't miss a single episode of IDRA Classnotes, subscribe to the podcast in iTunes, (download iTunes free if you don’t have it) or sign up to receive an e-mail alert as soon as a new show is published.