By the National Health Museum. Includes the "Mystery Spot," which is a collection of online mysteries that revolve around science. Great for English language learners and struggling readers.
* Host Bradley Scott, Ph.D., senior IDRA education associate and director of the IDRA South Central Collaborative for Equity, welcomes guest Veronica Betancourt, M.A., an IDRA education associate and developer of IDRA's Science Smart! model.
* Veronica explains how science is an integral part of everyone's life.
* Veronica discusses the disproportionate number of women working in the science fields and why girls tend to shy away from science in secondary schools.
* Veronica talks about the differences in science instruction at the elementary and secondary levels.
* Veronica notes that when science instruction become too procedural, students often lose a sense of purpose and meaning in what they are doing.
* Veronica outlines IDRA's year-long Science Smart! professional development model.
* Veronica addresses the importance of giving all students equal access to high-level science courses, including minority students and English language learners.
Listen to every episode!
To ensure you don't miss a single episode of IDRA Classnotes, subscribe to the podcast in iTunes, (download iTunes free if you don’t have it) or sign up to receive an e-mail alert as soon as a new show is published.