From time to time, members of media request information from IDRA for articles or stories. Here, we're providing you with access to the same thorough, detailed responses we give them. Sign up today to get IDRA news by email.
Latest News Releases
New IDRA Report… PSJA Proves that a School District Can Assure that All Students are College Bound, February 25, 2014
IDRA Calls on Texas State Board of Education to Ensure All Students Have Access to High Quality Curriculum – Texas Endorsement System Threatens to Track Poor and Minority Students, November 20, 2013
Overall Texas High School Attrition Rates Take Another Step Forward – October 29, 2013
Tracking, Endorsements and Differentiated Diplomas – When ‘Different’ Really is Less – October 11, 2013
IDRA’s Coca-Cola Valued Youth Program Expands to Chicago, Detroit, L.A., New York City & Sacramento – October 3, 2013
Texas Must Provide Equitable and Excellent Education for Children of All Backgrounds and Every Zip Code – January 27, 2014
The Texas Latino Education Coalition Expresses Disappointment with the State Board of Education’s Vote to Exclude Algebra II in the Default Curriculum – November 26, 2013
The Texas Latino Education Coalition Supports Inclusion of Algebra II in All Endorsement Tracks – November 12, 2013
Texas Students Need Our Support – Not New Barriers – to Get an Excellent Education – November 12, 2013
Statement on Fisher Ruling: Affirming the Right to Inclusion and Success in Education – June 24, 2013
Court Rules: Texas School Funding Must Serve All Students Equitably – April 5, 2013
Latest Testimony and Speeches
Texas Parents and Civil Rights Groups Call for High Quality Curriculum – January 28, 2014
Texas Endorsement System Threatens to Track Poor and Minority Students – Testimony by Dr. Albert Cortez, IDRA Director of Policy, presented to the Texas State Board of Education, November 20, 2013
IDRA Director of Policy, Dr. Albert Cortez, Testifies in School Finance Case -- December 5, 2012
Bio and Photos
Dr. María "Cuca" Robledo Montecel, IDRA President & CEO
Christie L. Goodman, APR, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 210-444-1710, ext. 1705.
Published Research Studies
- Annual attrition study: Attrition Rate Decline Appears Promising – Though High Schools are Still Losing One in Four Students (October 2012)
- Regional attrition study: High School Attrition Rates Across
- The Status of School Finance Equity in Texas – A 2009 Update (see related news release) (Texas, 2009)
- Post-Legislative Session Summary on Proposed Changes to Texas Bilingual Education Monitoring Procedures, Secondary Level ESL Program Reforms, and Related Litigation (Texas, 2009)
- Education of English Language Learners in U.S. and Texas Schools – Where We Are, What We Have Learned and Where We Need to Go from Here – A 2009 Update (National & Texas, 2009)
- Disciplinary Alternative Education Programs in Texas – A 2009 Update (Texas, 2009)
- Top Ten Percent Plan in Texas, multiple reports (Texas, 2009)
- IDRA Early Childhood Centers of Excellence Model (2005-06)
- The New State of Illiteracy in San Antonio and in the Nation (National & San Antonio, 2005)
- Good School and Classrooms for Children Learning English (National, 2001)
- Disciplinary Alternative Education Programs in Texas - What is Known; What is Needed (Texas, 1999)
- Missing: Texas Youth - Dropout and Attrition in Texas Public High Schools (Texas, 1999)
- Failing Our Children - Finding Alternatives to In-Grade Retention (National, 1999)
- Students for Sale - The Use of Public Money for Private Schooling (National, 1999)
Articles from the IDRA Newsletter are posted online under IDRA Newsletter in html and pdf format.
Who is IDRA?
IDRA is an independent, private non-profit organization, directed by María Robledo Montecel, Ph.D., assuring educational opportunity for every child. We are deeply concerned with the education and well-being of all children and youth – particularly those who are poor, minority or limited-English-proficient.
We work hand-in-hand with schools, families, and communities to ensure that all students succeed in school and graduate. And IDRA conducts ground-breaking research to inform school improvement.