The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted many of the issues that have impacted students and families for generations, including access to well-funded educational programs, digital devices and connectivity, and affordable housing and healthcare.
Responding to the impact of COVID-19 on schools requires taking a critical look at many systemic inequities and listening to the communities most impacted by the pandemic.
Learn more about IDRA’s comprehensive approach to COVID-19’s impact on schools. See our Policy Primer: Ensuring Education Equity During and After COVID-19, IDRA’s living document listing policies to preserve and promote educational equity. See the guide in Spanish, Garantizar la equidad educativa durante y después de COVID-19.
Cutting Public School Relief Funds to Subsidize Private Schools – An Analysis of How the Department of Education’s Equitable Services Rule Will Harm Texas Students and School Districts, IDRA Issue Brief • July 16, 2020
Letters and Public Comments
- Letter to TEA regarding lack of updated guidance for serving students experiencing homelessness and students with special education needs, submitted by IDRA Texas Appleseed and Disability Rights Texas, August 20, 2020
- IDRA Public Comment to U.S. Department of Education Re: CARES Act Programs, Equitable Services to Students and Teachers in Non-Public Schools, July 31, 2020
- Joint Letter to U.S. Department of Education Re: Comments in Response to Interim Final Rule on CARES Act Programs; Equitable Services to Students and Teachers in Non-Public Schools, July 30, 2020
- IDRA Letter to U.S. Congress Urging Education Equity in Next Stimulus Package, July 27, 2020
- Joint Letter to Congress Regarding Next Round of COVID-19 Funding, July 27, 2020
- Joint Letter to Texas Congressional Delegation Calling for Additional Federal Relief to the Coronavirus Pandemic, July 21, 2020
- IDRA letter Eligibility of Students at Institutions of Higher Education for Funds under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act, July 14, 2020
- Supplemental Funding for English Learners/Title III in COVID Relief – Joint Letter, April 17, 2020
- Recommendations for the Bexar County Juvenile Justice System’s COVID-19 Emergency Plan – Joint Letter, March 27, 2020