In 1993, our state policymakers in Austin came up with a new way of funding our schools that is more equitable. That means that the funding for all school districts would be much more fair.
Equity is one of the most important components of our state school funding system. In fact, the equitable support Texas gives its schools is seen as a good example for other states as they change their unfair school systems.
Since 1995 until 2005, more students:
- were receiving a better quality of education
- were learning in fewer unsafe buildings
- had access to more special programs
- had access learning with computers
- were graduating with the courses that will prepare them to go to college.
Before Equalization in Texas
Source: Cárdenas, José A. 1985-96 State District Trial Court Records, Texas School Finance Reform: An IDRA Perspective (San Antonio, Texas: Intercultural Development Research Association, 1997).