Advocate Meaningful Assessment and Fair Accountability
- Eliminate state-required tests that exceed federally required assessments (per ESSA).
- Remove high-stakes accountability sanctions to schools and students (i.e., grade promotion graduation requirements).
- Promote meaningful, diagnostic and formative assessments designed to assess students’ learning without punitive measures attached.
- Extend individual graduation committees for high school graduation approval without expiration.
Invest in Public School Students
- Maintain full funding for education; oppose education cuts and maintain hold harmless provisions for 2020-21 attendance funding.
- Invest in public education and critical services that support families (e.g., assistance to resolve the digital divide, healthcare).
- Protect against privatization efforts that compromise public school resources (e.g., charters, vouchers, virtual charters).
- Prioritize funding for historically marginalized students, such as English learners, students receiving special education services, and students from limited incomes.
- Channel federal stimulus funds for education equitably toward districts and students that have been most affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Promote Quality Bilingual Education
- Support diverse teacher preparation programs, especially for bilingual teachers.
- Monitor, support, and expand high-quality, effective programs for English learners, including dual language programs.
- Protect and increase student-weight funding for English learner students in all instructional programs.
Prepare All Students for College Readiness and Success
- Ensure that a rigorous college preparatory curriculum is available to all students, especially for students of color and from lower-income households.
- Expand access to and affordability for postsecondary education through an increase in-state financial aid, expansion of eligibility for gift aid, and protections for student borrowers.
- Make institutions of higher education more equitable in their faculty pay structures, internet infrastructure, and student services and resources.
- Protect in-state tuition and aid eligibility for undocumented students.
- Protect the Top Ten Percent Plan.
Promote Educational Equity in All Aspects of Student Learning
- Adopt ethnic studies and support implementation through state standards.
- Engage families in the policies and practices for school reopening.
- Support greater mental and behavioral health resources for students, teachers and staff.
- Support wraparound services that address all needs of school community (e.g., full-service community schools model).
- Develop a robust, racially diverse teacher workforce and educational leadership.
- Accurately and transparently collect and monitor data disaggregated by race-ethnicity regarding, but not limited to student engagement, discipline, and achievement to assess racial equity in schools.
- Promote authentic methods of two-way, family-school engagement.
- Advocate policies for racial justice in schools, including dismantling the school-to-prison pipeline, promoting professional development in racial justice and culturally responsive pedagogies and practices, and district adoption of racial equity policies.