Sulema Carreón-Sánchez, Ph.D., is IDRA’s consumer services coordinator focusing on teacher professional development, particularly in serving English language learners. In addition, she provides training and technical assistance in assessment strategies, bilingual and sheltered instruction techniques among many others.
Dr. Carreón-Sánchez earned her doctorate in leadership studies from Our Lady of the University. She received her master’s degree in education with a concentration in bicultural-bilingual studies from the University of Texas at San Antonio, and a bachelor’s degree in education with a concentration in bilingual/ESL and kindergarten. She is certified in elementary and middle school bilingual education, ESL and kindergarten. Additional certifications include mid-management and supervisory certificates (PK-12).
Dr. Carreón-Sánchez has worked in the education field for more than 35 years. She has also worked for two major publishing companies as director of school relations for Pearson Scott Foresman and a bilingual consultant for McGraw-Hill Publishing. Dr. Carreón-Sánchez provided sales presentations and in-service training to school districts in the areas of reading, mathematics, science, technology applications and social studies.
She was director of bilingual/ESL for a fast-growing major urban school district, Northside Independent School District in San Antonio. Before this, she served as assistant superintendent of special programs in the Somerset Independent School District, where she was in charge of bilingual/ESL and state compensatory programs. Dr. Carreón-Sánchez developed and implemented the district’s first migrant program.
She also worked for the Texas Education Agency as an education specialist, monitoring school districts for compliance with state and federal regulations. While at Edgewood Independent School District, she worked as a Title VII consultant providing assistance to Title VII campuses teachers. During her years in the classroom, Dr. Carreón-Sánchez taught numerous classes, including bilingual education, ESL and early childhood.
- Classroom Tips for Safe Zooming, September 17, 2020
- Religion Equity and School Dress Codes, August 30, 2018
- Meet Sulema Carreón-Sánchez, Ph.D., Senior Education Associate, December 30, 2016
- Considering Multiple Intelligences Theory for English Learner Classrooms, September 22, 2015
- Early Childhood Literacy Connections When Using Cognates, April 20, 2015
- School Principal Discusses the Dramatic Transformation – An Interview with Dr. Lucious Brown, January 25, 2011
- Principal on Dramatic School Transformation – Podcast Episode 83, February 11, 2011