IDRA is a national non-profit organization whose mission is to achieve equal educational opportunity through strong public schools that prepare all students to access and succeed in college.
IDRA seeks a Texas Advocacy Director whose primary duties are as follows:
- Collaborate with IDRA’s Deputy Director of Policy and other Texas-based staff to create and execute state-level advocacy strategies for the organization’s Texas policy priorities. This includes in-person advocacy, coordinating coalition engagement opportunities (i.e., advocacy days), and relationship building at the Texas Capitol in Austin and other relevant areas during and between legislative sessions. This position requires knowledge of Texas’ legislative processes and internal procedures.
- Develop campaign strategies for and convene, manage, and expand the membership and reach of the Texas Legislative Education Equity Coalition (TLEEC); coordinate other organizations and individual stakeholders to engage in issue-specific advocacy campaigns; and represent IDRA in Texas advocacy coalitions.
- Support the IDRA Education Policy Fellows program, including by helping to develop and present program curricula, directly supervise Texas-based fellows, and grow IDRA’s multi-state policy collaborative in coordination with IDRA’s Georgia Advocacy Director.
Other duties will include collaborating with IDRA staff to:
- Support external policy communications, including through new and traditional media and digital campaign platforms.
- Support state-level legal advocacy and litigation projects, including through outreach and communications with coalitions, organizations and individuals in support of amicus briefs, Attorney General letter briefs and other legal advocacy strategies.
- Provide training, guidance, and assistance to educators, students and families to support their engagement in education policy and advocacy.
- Help to build an internal database of advocacy guides, articles and other materials.
- Support other IDRA initiatives as needed.
- Education law or policy experience
- Excellent coalition management skills and experience leading diverse coalitions
- Excellent writing skills across a variety of audiences
- Experience in digital campaign and mobilization strategies
- Ability to adapt quickly and respond creatively to challenges
- Fluency in Spanish
We seek an individual with a proven track record who shares our views that no child is expendable and that communities must have a voice in the policies that most impact them. Applicants should understand asset-based practices, systemic change, institutional biases and current local, state and federal education policy issues.
Commensurate with experience.
Send a letter of interest, résumé and three references to Morgan Craven, J.D., IDRA National Director of Policy, Advocacy and Community Engagement, at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. IDRA is an equal opportunity employer.