The coalition against #HB3979 held a virtual press conference featuring students, teachers, educators and superintendents who oppose HB 3979 (Texas 87th) prior to the Texas Senate’s anticipated floor debate. The bill would limit speech and engagement in Texas classrooms.
- Jahziel Leduna, student
- Dr. Jeannie Stone, Richardson ISD Superintendent
- Dr, Michael Hinojosa, Dallas ISD Superintendent
- Charlene Stark, senior advisor, strategic & legislative initiatives at North Texas Commission
- Candace Hunter, former social studies teacher
- Araceli García, IDRA Education Policy Fellow, moderator
This event was hosted by the Texas Legislative Education Equity Coalition (TLEEC), a collaborative of organizations and individuals with the mission to improve the quality of public education for all children, with a focus on racial equity.
Originally aired on 5/19/2021 at 1 pm CT LIVE on Facebook Live