Chloe Latham Sikes, Ph.D., is IDRA’s deputy director of policy. She brings nearly a decade of experience of working in both K-12 and higher education settings, as well as in educational research and advocacy organizations. She focuses on IDRA’s state policy priorities for advancing equity in public education, including school finance, accountability, bilingual education, and issues of local school district governance. She has previously worked with education advocacy coalitions during Texas legislative sessions on issues ranging from access to in-state tuition for undocumented students to increasing bilingual education funding and to enhancing teacher preparation programs.
Dr. Latham Sikes earned her doctoral in the educational policy and planning program at the University of Texas at Austin. Her dissertation examined how school district leaders understand and respond to the effects of immigration policies on their school communities. Her other research interests include student and community engagement in education, the intersections of immigration and educational policy, bilingual education funding, and socio-political influences on the education system and students. Her work has been published in the Oxford Handbook of US K-12 Law, Texas Education Review, and International Journal of Educational Management (forthcoming), among other publications.
Dr. Latham Sikes is originally from Plano, Texas, and earned a bachelor’s degree in anthropology and global development studies from Grinnell College. She also holds a master’s of arts degree in cultural studies in education from UT-Austin.
Recent Media Coverage
As COVID-19 Strains School Budgets, Texas’ Historic Education Cuts Give Lessons, by Laura Isensee, Houston Public Media, June 18, 2020
Data Deficit: No A-F Grades for Districts or STAAR Exams for Students, Emily Donaldson, Rivard Report, April 16, 2020
Teenager at Harris County juvenile detention tests positive for coronavirus, Gabrielle Banks, Houston Chronicle, March 26, 2020
- State Reopening Guidance Must Prioritize Equity, June 26, 2020
- How School Districts and Communities Can Plan Safe Learning Environments, June 26, 2020
- State Takeovers of School Districts Don’t Work, May 27, 2020
- Implications of Texas SB 1882 Patchwork of Partnerships, May 27, 2020
- Meet Dr. Chloe Latham Sikes – IDRA Deputy Director of Policy, May 27, 2020
- Policy Recommendations to Equity Concerns for English Learners in Response to COVID-19, April 09, 2020
- Racial and Gender Disparities in Dress Code Discipline Point to Need for New Approaches in Schools, February 26, 2020
- Teacher Preparation for Diverse Classrooms, January 30, 2020