• IDRA Newsletter • September 2017 •
Supplemental Early Childhood Curriculum & Training
Semillitas de Aprendizaje is a bilingual (Spanish/English) supplemental early childhood curriculum by IDRA that is based on the art of storytelling. It stems from research IDRA conducted on its Reading Early for Academic Development (READ) project, funded by the U.S. Department of Education, to establish in preschool centers “classrooms of excellence” that ensure reading, cognitive and emotional success for all preschool children through a print-rich environment.
The curriculum reflects elements of Ellen Galinsky’s seven essential life skills every child needs to thrive as life-long learners and to take on life’s challenges. These skills give children the ability to focus on goals, expand their intellectual capacity, cultivate strong, positive self-esteem and stimulate intellectual curiosity. Using culturally appropriate and robust language encourages children to learn easily and communicate what they have learned. Semillitas de Aprendizaje also incorporates the Head Start Early Childhood competency indicators through literacy center activities that focus on listening and understanding, speaking and communicating, phonological awareness, comprehension, book knowledge and use, print knowledge and emergent writing.
- Blended Instruction
- Storytelling & Poetry Reading
- Vocabulary Development in Both English & Spanish
- Alphabetic Knowledge
- English Transition Activities
- Life Skills
- STEM Focus
- Content Integration
- Higher Order Thinking Activities
- Phonemic Awareness Exercises
Semillitas de Aprendizaje Materials
The classroom set includes the following products for $464. Each product also is sold separately.
- Teacher Guide – 10 units in 196 pages to support early childhood bilingual literacy development
- 10 Storybooks – beautifully-illustrated culturally-relevant bilingual stories with rich vocabulary
- 10 Big Books – abridged version of the bilingual storybooks designed for classroom interaction
- 15 Preschool Math Books – for classroom and home use focusing on numeracy and social-emotional development (bilingual)
- 20 Cartitas ~ Letters Home – with family activities for teachers to send home for parents related to the 10 stories
- 20 Storytelling Videos – stories are brought to life through engaging storytelling in Spanish and story-reading in English
- Customized Training – assistance with using the materials and on creating centers of excellence, including classroom demonstrations and observations, coaching for success, nurturing of innovations, and building on existing strengths