Why Mexican American Studies?
Research shows that Mexican American Studies courses lead to improved:
- standardized test scores;
- graduation rates;
- college attendance rates; and
- academic mindsets.
See article: Mexican American Studies in All Grades – Administering an Innovation, by Aurelio M. Montemayor, M.Ed., IDRA Newsletter
See MAS student article: The Day I Taught My High School Peers, by Alyssa Diaz, IDRA Newsletter
Article: San Antonio an epicenter of newfound appreciation for Mexican American Studies, Elaine Ayala, San Antonio Express-News, June 13, 2019
Professional Development Services
IDRA’s professional development covers a range of topics for all grades. Training topics can include the teaching of content-specific MAS courses and/or tools educators can use to incorporate cultural sustainability into any curriculum. We are committed to meeting the customized needs of each district and offer on-site technical assistance, model teaching, observations and feedback, an online community of practice, and a MAS locator map searchable by district, city and topic.
Learn more today!
- Planning for MAS-dedicated courses
- Curriculum and lesson planning for integrating MAS in subjects including social studies, history, literature and fine arts
- Best practices for elementary and secondary instruction
- Research-based professional development training
- Team training
- Coaching and mentoring
- Partnering with families.
With an unwavering commitment to student success, IDRA services provide innovative, practical and sustainable solutions for diverse student populations based on the unique needs of each district, campus or classroom.